What it year it was! Covid played heavily into our activities this year, but we were still able to provide support and hope to our community in several ways, thanks to your generosity and our volunteers. Here is a recap:
- Easter: We were so excited for our planned family event for Easter, which was going to include over 10,000 candy filled eggs, games, vendors and more at our city park. However, Covid-19 forced us to cancel this event.
- Prom Dress Drive: The pandemic took another social function away from our kids by way of Prom. Although most area schools cancelled their Proms, some teens decided to get dressed up for photo shoots or private events as a substitute. We were excited to help about 20 girls pick out formal gowns, free of charge, even if it was just for dress up!
- Back-to-School Event: Our Back-to-School Event looked a little different this year, as we had to take extra safety precautions and maintain social distancing. However, over 350 children, representing 115 families, were all were provided new backpacks with school supplies, dental kits, new socks and undergarments, brand new tennis shoes and gently worn clothing. We were also able to provide 100 backpacks to a community outreach program through Abundant Church in Lockhart and an additional 20 backpacks with school supplies to the Austin Children’s Shelter!
- New Building: We quickly outgrew our little 1200 sf office! In August, we signed a lease for a 2500 sf fixer-upper that now serves as our offices, storage, classroom, meeting space, donation drop off and distribution center. Many of you financially gave to this remodel project and we are profoundly grateful!
- Essay Contest: 40 girls, ages 8-13 entered the 4:12 Kids sponsored essay contest on “Friendship”. The winner received a Lily Pulitizer bedroom makeover pack, valued at approx. $300. The 2nd and 3rd place winners each received a $50 Amazon gift card. This spring, we will be hosting an essay contest for boys.
- Thanksgiving Meals: 148 children and 127 adults in42 families were provided with everything for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.
- Winter Coats: 75 coats were donated to us through the community and the First Christian Church of Lockhart. These coats are available to school counselors for children in need. Approximately 30 coats, gloves and hats have been distributed so far this winter.
- Photos with Santa: With a little creativity and some awesome volunteer elves, photographer and man in a red suit, we were able to create a socially distant and safe space for children to have their photos taken with Santa. This was the only opportunity of its kind in the area!
- Santa Letters: Santa had a magical mailbox outside the 4:12 Kids’ office. Letters dropped in the mailbox had a direct link to the North Pole. “Santa” hand-wrote back to each child who send him a letter – 45 to be exact! Next year, Santa is going to type his letters!
- Christmas Gifts: Through Lockhart ISD counselors and the Parents as Teachers (PATS) program of Community Action Central Texas, we were asked to provide assistance to 37 families for Christmas. Thanks to community supporters and our gracious partners at Abundant Church, we were able to supply Christmas gifts for 115 children! Our community really came through; it was not just one gift per child that was donated – these children were truly blessed!
- Chamber Member of the Month: We were honored to receive the December 2020 Chamber Member of the Month recognition, for our continued work with area families.
- Walk-Ins: 4:12 Kids accepts walk-in appointments all year round. In 2020, we had approximately 30 families come to us for some type of support.
OUR VOLUNTEERS AMASSED OVER 2,000 VOLUNTEER WORK HOURS IN 2020!
2021 is going to be an even bigger year as we add new programs and opportunities. Among them will be the start of our Mentorship Program which we are super excited about.
We are merely the hands and feet of these programs; we could not have accomplished all we have done without your support. It is truly amazing to see what God is doing in and through 4:12 Kids and we are excited to see what 2021 has in store for us.
For ways in which you can support this ministry, click on the Get Involved tab.